Kale and Radish Salad with Candied Walnuts
Bright and fresh kale salad with watermelon radish, tomatoes, and candied walnuts! Enjoy this refreshing salad as a main or side.
- 2 oz walnuts around ½ cup
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 8 oz kale curly or tuscan
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved around ¾ cup
- 1 medium watermelon radish, thinly sliced or 2-3 regular radishes
- goat or feta cheese optional
Easy Dijon Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tbsp vinegar of choice apple cider, red wine, balsamic
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cloves garlic, minced or ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- honey or maple syrup optional
Heat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Put walnuts in a small bowl and pour very hot water over walnuts. Let sit for 1 minute, then drain. Add sugar and sea salt, mix to coat nuts evenly, then spread on the parchment. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes until crisp and caramelized. Cool, then break walnuts apart.
Pull kale leaves off of the stem and discard the stems. Chop the kale into small bite-sized pieces. In a large salad bowl, combine chopped kale with a pinch of salt. Massage the leaves by scrunching up handfuls at a time until the leaves are fragrant and darker in color.
Add the candied walnuts, halved tomatoes, and sliced radish to the bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss thoroughly. Crumble optional cheese over salad before serving.