Persimmon Salad with Pomegranate and Candied Walnuts
A gorgeous winter salad bursting with fresh persimmons and pomegranate! Complete this refreshing salad with candied walnuts and a bright orange vinaigrette.
- 2 oz walnuts about ½ cup
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 5 oz mixed salad greens or baby kale, spinach, arugula, and any combination
- 2 medium Fuyu persimmons, peeled
- 1 pomegranate's arils/seeds about ¾ cup
- goat or feta cheese optional
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ tbsp apple cider vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp orange juice or pomegranate juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- salt and pepper, to taste
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Put walnuts in a small bowl and pour very hot water over walnuts. Let sit for 1 minute, then drain. Add sugar and sea salt, mix to coat nuts evenly, then spread on the parchment. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes until crisp and caramelized. Cool, then break walnuts apart.
Slice and quarter persimmons into bite-sized pieces. Dress with a dash of the vinaigrette.
Add the greens to a large bowl. Toss with the remaining of the vinaigrette. Mix in persimmons, pomegranate arils, and optional cheese. Top with candied walnuts and serve immediately.