Juicy pulled pork-filled enchiladas with an easy homemade red enchilada sauce, melted cheese, and endless toppings! You can make the pulled pork and enchilada sauce ahead of time to make assembly and serving even quicker.
I am LOVING this enchilada recipe for its versatility and perfect combination of flavors. You get juicy, Cuban-style pulled pork with a smoky chili enchilada sauce topped with melted cheese and fresh toppings to contrast the richness. I personally love stacking on toppings like fresh jalapeños, avocado, tomato salsa, cilantro, sour cream, and grated cotija.
Many of the elements can be made ahead which makes assembly that much easier. I would recommend making the pulled pork the day before (maybe even for a different dish) and using the leftovers for these enchiladas.
When ready to assemble, lay out tortillas, enchilada sauce, pork, and cheese in a line. Take a tortilla and spread on around two tablespoons of sauce, topping then with a generous amount of pork and cheese down the middle. Roll up tightly and place in a greased baking pan. Repeat until everything is used up, and top the casserole with any extra enchilada sauce and cheese.
Bake at 350°F until enchiladas are warmed through and the cheese is bubbly, around 20 minutes. Serve garnished with your favorite toppings!
Enchiladas make for such a comforting and fulfilling meal (just ask my family!) and you can switch out the pork for chicken, beef, or anything of your liking. And if there are leftovers, store tightly and you can warm them up in the microwave or in a lower-heat oven (300°F) for a few minutes until it’s cooked through and the cheese is ~melty~.
Pulled Pork Enchiladas
- 1 4-5 lb boneless pork shoulder, cut into 8 pieces
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tbsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 bay leaf
Red Enchilada Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- ¼ cup chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt, to taste
- 10 large flour tortillas
- 3 cups Mexican-blend shredded cheese monterey jack, cheddar, colby, mozzarella
- fresh cilantro, tomato salsa, avocado, cotija cheese, sour cream, for topping optional
Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Place pork shoulder and all seasonings (except bay leaf) into the Instant Pot. Stir to coat. Add water or stock if there isn't enough liquid.
- Add bay leaf, and cover and cook on high pressure for 60 minutes. Let pressure release naturally.
- Remove pork from cooking liquid and add salt to taste. Shred and set aside.
Red Enchilada Sauce
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Add in the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and oregano and cook for 1 more minute, whisking constantly.
- Slowly pour in stock and whisk until no lumps remain. Continue cooking until the sauce begins to simmer, then reduce heat to maintain the simmer for about 10-15 minutes, uncovered, until the sauce has slightly thickened. Season to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lay out a tortilla and spread on two tablespoons of sauce. Add a generous spoonful of the pulled pork in a line down the center of the tortilla, then sprinkle with cheese. Roll up tortilla and place in a greased 9 x 13 baking pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas
- Spread remaining sauce over enchiladas along with additional cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until enchiladas are cooked through and cheese is melted. Serve warm, garnished with toppings.
- You will have extra pulled pork – wrap tightly and store in fridge. The leftovers are perfect for tacos or pulled pork sandwiches!