Korean braised short ribs, also known as galbi-jjim, feature tender short ribs in a savory and rich sauce with a hint of sweetness. These short ribs are cooked in an in Instant Pot which guarantees a flavorful meal in just a fraction of the time on the stovetop!
I used English style short ribs which cuts between the ribs to separate them, compared to flanken style short ribs which are commonly grilled (galbi). This is the recommended cut as the short ribs hold their form during braising and are able to absorb all that flavor!
Using an Instant Pot cuts down on cooking time and also makes the traditional overnight braising step unnecessary, so this dish is perfect for a quick meal. I added carrots and potatoes at the end to make it more substantial, but feel free to leave them out or substitute in daikon radish!
Korean Instant Pot Short Ribs
- instant pot
- blender/food processor
- 3 lbs beef short ribs english cut
- 1 red apple, chopped or asian pear
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger, sliced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar less, if desired
- 1/4 cup mirin or soju
- 1 tsp black pepper
For Dish (optional)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- chopped scallions
- steamed rice
- Rinse short ribs with cold water. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add meat to pot. Boil the meat for 5 minutes.
- Strain short ribs and add them to the Instant Pot
- Combine all sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the sauce over the short ribs and seal the Instant Pot. If there isn't enough liquid, add water as needed.
- Set to pressure cook for 45 minutes, and allow for 15 minutes of natural release before opening.
- Serve as is, or continue to add vegetables and reduce sauce.
- Remove ribs from Instant Pot and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add vegetables and turn on the Sauté function. Cook until vegetables are of desired texture and sauce is reduced (around 10 minutes).
- Return ribs to pot and toss with the sauce. Top with chopped scallions.
- Serve with steamed rice.