Korean braised short ribs, also known as galbi-jjim, feature tender short ribs in a savory and rich sauce with a hint of sweetness. These short ribs are cooked in an in Instant Pot which guarantees a flavorful meal in just a fraction of the time on the stovetop!
One of my favorite types of dishes are braised stews and meats. Regardless of the season, these meals are so comforting and easy to make for several people or store away for meal prep! In particular, this braised short rib recipe is warming and satisfying.
Traditional Korean Short Ribs (galbi-jjim)
My recipe is adapted from the classic Korean braised short rib dish: galbi-jjim. Traditionally, beef short ribs are simmered in a pot with Korean ingredients like soy sauce, sesame oil, scallions, etc. Then, the dish is served with jujube, pine nuts, shiitake mushrooms, and other unique ingredients. It’s absolutely delicious and works great as a main protein dish!
How to Use an Instant Pot
I am a huge fan of the Instant Pot because it makes braising and other types of cooking so much easier! For example, this dish normally requires hours of stovetop or oven braising. In an Instant Pot, we have it in and out in approximately an hour with amazing results. For more details on this method, check out my Instant Pot Braised Pork Ribs recipe!
For this dish, you will need the Manual/High Pressure setting. Tap Manual, followed by Pressure. Tap it again to go into High Pressure mode (which most recipes require.) Use the plus and minus buttons to set the cook time. Place the lid on the IP and lock it into place. Check that the valve on the lid is in the Sealing position. When enough pressure is built up inside, the red button will pop up and the cook time will officially begin.
Short Rib Options
I used English style short ribs which cuts between the ribs to separate them, compared to flanken style short ribs which are commonly grilled (galbi). This is the recommended cut as the short ribs hold their form during braising and are able to absorb all that flavor!
Let’s Make Instant Pot Korean Short Ribs!
Rinse short ribs with cold water. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add meat to pot. Boil the meat for 5 minutes. This is meant to clear away any impurities and is a common practice in East Asian cuisines. Strain short ribs and add them to the Instant Pot.
Next, make the sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the sauce over the short ribs and add water or stock as needed to come up at least an inch up the short ribs. Seal the Instant Pot. Set to pressure cook for 45 minutes, and allow for 15 minutes of natural release before opening. Serve as is, or continue to add vegetables and reduce the sauce.
I love adding hearty vegetables and reducing the sauce to make more of a main dish. Remove ribs from Instant Pot and cover with foil to keep warm. Add vegetables and turn on the Sauté function. Cook until vegetables are of desired texture and the sauce is reduced (around 10 minutes). Return ribs to pot and toss with the sauce. Top with chopped scallions and serve with steamed rice!
Check out these Instant Pot Pork Enchiladas for another Instant Pot recipe!
Korean Instant Pot Short Ribs
- instant pot
- blender/food processor
- 3 lbs beef short ribs english cut
- 1 red apple, chopped or asian pear
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger, sliced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar less, if desired
- 1/4 cup mirin or soju
- 1 tsp black pepper
For Dish (optional)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- chopped scallions
- steamed rice
- Rinse short ribs with cold water. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add meat to pot. Boil the meat for 5 minutes.
- Strain short ribs and add them to the Instant Pot
- Combine all sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the sauce over the short ribs and seal the Instant Pot. If there isn't enough liquid, add water as needed.
- Set to pressure cook for 45 minutes, and allow for 15 minutes of natural release before opening.
- Serve as is, or continue to add vegetables and reduce sauce.
- Remove ribs from Instant Pot and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add vegetables and turn on the Sauté function. Cook until vegetables are of desired texture and sauce is reduced (around 10 minutes).
- Return ribs to pot and toss with the sauce. Top with chopped scallions.
- Serve with steamed rice.